The RightCycle Program Encourages you to Recycle the Right Way
Resource Recovery Gippsland is all about maximising resources and minimising what goes to landfill, and it’s clear that recycling is a key component.
People understand that recycling is important; that it has benefits for the environment, local economies and individual hip-pockets.
We also know that to have the greatest impact and be sustainable, recycling needs to be done right.
Putting the right items in the right bins helps avoid all sorts of problems once your recycling has been collected. It also means that your good efforts don’t go to waste!
All six Gippsland councils collect recyclables as part of their collection services. In addition to this, Bass Coast Shire Council provides a combined food organics and garden organics (FOGO) collection service.
Gippsland households have a great record when it comes to recycling.
The total amount of material set aside for recycling has increased by 70 per cent since 2001.
Across the region, approximately 25,000 tonnes of recyclables is collected by councils from kerbside, equating to around 200kg per household.
With the recent changes in global recycling markets, triggered by China’s new standards for recyclable material, we now have the opportunity to focus on not just continuing to recycle but to recycle right.
What’s RIGHT For Your Recycling Bin?
To help make sure your recycling counts, check what can go into your kerbside bin in your area. What can and can’t be recycled differs from council to council.
Recycling In Gippsland
Find out more about recycling in your area:
More Great Recycling Options
- Recycle mobile phones with MobileMuster
- Take your household batteries to your nearest Aldi
- Soft plastics can be recycled through the REDcycle program – drop off at your local Coles or Woolworths
- Printer cartridges can be recycled through Cartridges 4 Planet Ark
- Recycle old IT equipment with Officeworks BringIT Back
- Makeup, post packs, coffee pods, toothbrushes and toothpaste tubes can be recycled through Terracycle
- Household Chemicals – Detox Your Home
- Donate good quality, useable items to charity
- Have a garage sale.
Take a look at our RightCycle Gippsland – Recycling Guide for some great tips!