Over the next 20-30 years Gippsland will be one of the state’s fastest growing regions which will present the resource recovery sector with challenges and opportunities when it comes to accommodating this rapid growth.
Kerbside - currently
Across six councils, 100,000 tonnes of waste is collected at the household kerb. 48% of this material is recovered (recycled, reused, repurposed) and 52% goes to landfill.
Planning for the Future
New infrastructure and solutions will be required across the region to ensure the future waste management needs of the region are met effectively, economically and sustainably.
Region-wide Kerbside Collaborative Procurement Opportunity
On behalf of local government across Gippsland, the Resource Recovery Gippsland is exploring options and identifying market appetite for a collaborative kerbside solution that will meet the future needs of the region.
Gippsland is seeking to maximise resource recovery and reduce volumes going to landfill through a region-wide collaborative procurement approach that:
- is based on best practice and innovation
- considers social, environmental and economic benefits for the region, including:
- increased employment opportunities for members of our communities
- reprocessing within the region that drives economic growth
- cost-effective solutions for the management of residual waste (which can occur inside or outside the region).
- provides a model that is scalable and has the capacity to accept and process additional volume from other areas of the state
- generates regional and state economic value and investment.
Expressions of interest
During April/May 2019 expressions of interest were called for from organisations with the capability, know-how and capacity to provide, or contribute to, a region-wide waste and resource recovery solutions to express interest in this project.
Conducted 29 April 2019
Expressions of interest closure
Closed 5pm Friday 31 May 2019
Assessment of expressions of interest
Gippswide Kerbside contact
Matthew Peake, Executive Officer
T: 03 5633 2744
Grey Follett, Strategic Planning and Analysis Project Officer
T: 035633 2744 | 0400 343 819